What if the Raouche rock disappeared?
In a performance which convinced and disturbed a lot of people on the Corniche, Nasser Soumi positions himself as an architect out to demolish Pigeon Rock and put up a hotel in its place. Soumi videotaped and photographed people’s reactions and displayed these near Riviera. Soumi reasons that given so much of Lebanon’s natural beauty has been ruthlessly ravaged by ugly new constructions, it is not unreasonable to expect that Pigeon Rock will eventually disappear as well.
- Date: 1999
- Location: Corniche El Manara
- Medium: Performance, Installation
- Material: N/A
- Section: Contemporary
- Duration: Temporary
- Tag: Site-specific Intervention
- Framework: The Corniche Project
- Authorizations: Municipality of Beirut
- Commissioner: Ashkal Alwan